Aims of Education for Peace
The overall aim of Education for Peace is to help build a peaceful world.
The overall aim of Education for Peace is to help build a peaceful world. To do so we aim to:
- Understand the nature and origins of violence and its effects on both victim and perpetrator.
- Create frameworks for achieving peace and peaceful, creative societies.
- Sharpen awareness about the existence of unpeaceful relationships between people and within and between nations.
- Investigate the causes of conflicts and violence embedded within perceptions, values and attitudes of individuals as well as within social and political structures of society.
- Encourage the search for alternatives and possible nonviolent skills.
- Equip children and adults with personal conflict resolution skills.
- Show people that violence and war are learned and not an intrinsic part of human nature and that it is possible to resolve conflict peacefully.
- Create a more peaceful world where all of us may become agents for change. Education for Peace gives us the skills that will assist in achieving peaceful societies.
- Correct the limited understanding of peace held by many people that it is the absence, however contrived, of direct violence, of wounding and killing.
- Create a better learning environment where conflict and relationships may be explored.